Monday, March 14, 2011

Outfit of the Day: The Red Cross Shirtdress



This is what I wore today. The dress is patterned after the "Grey Lady" American Red Cross Uniform of World War 2 in Japanese cotton fabric from Cotton Depot, Glorietta 5. The print is a bunch fans and flowers on a pretty jade background. The wedges are from Salsatrends, a local brand (I believe) and my black leather kiss-lock purse is from Alfa Delon.


I am slowly taking jeans out of my life (except when it's absolutely necessary, like when I have to go to certain dirty areas where wearing a skirt is simply NOT an option) I've always wanted a shirt-dress, but none of the shirt-dresses I've seen in the malls or online really appealed to me. Nothing looked right, there was always a catch. It was either too baggy, too drab, too bright, too thin, too short, too shiny, too scratchy... etc. I didn't want a drab, baggy boyfriend shirt dress, I'm a big girl (circumference-wise anyway. I'm kinda short, height-wise) and a drab, baggy boyfriend shirt dress is not going to do me any favors. So I looked to the past (as I always do) and I came across these pictures from the blog Unsung Sewing Patterns:


Photo from http://www.unsungsewingpatterns.net/

Photo from http://www.unsungsewingpatterns.net/

I was sold. A buttoned belt! Pockets! A flattering Princess style line! Tiny epaulets! Fantastic. My seamstress was also pleased because it was an easy dress to make (as opposed to the more complicated dresses I have her sew for my clients when I'm too busy with other things or too swamped with other projects to sew it myself) I love my seamstress. She does such excellent work. 



Pictures taken using my Blackberry camera phone. It was already late afternoon and the light was just mehhh. Better pictures coming soon!

5 comments:

E said...

Love the dress! You are so talented!

Lyra said...

Thanks so much, my friend! How are you? I miss you much! :D

Pere said...

Oh, those classic lines. Like time-travelling, only with style instead of science. ♥

Lyra said...

Mahala: I WISH I had the science to time travel! It's alright though, I shall just content myself with dresses I reproduce from vintage patterns. XD

Heyyy! Do you still want those colored tights? Email me!

Shane R. said...

Where did you find a pattern for the dress?